Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vegetable Soup for the Soul


It has been a soggy four days in South Carolina. Wet, chilly, windy, and grey. Not my favorite kind of weather. I am a Sunshine kinda girl. I am, however, the eternal optimist about things, so if there is a silver lining to this low lying, soil soaking kinda weather....it has to be Vegetable Soup.

Good 'ole, throw some meat in the pot, boil it up and dump every yummy veggie you can find in it kinda soup. The kind you make in the biggest pot you have, and you cook it all day long. That's the way my Momma did it...as did her Momma before her....and it is how I make it too. The ingredients are never quite the same, but somehow it always tastes yummy. Throw together some sweet corn bread, and you have a meal that will warm you to the core!

I was raised on made from scratch, yellow corn meal, cornbread. Mark was raised on Jiffy Mix. I had never had Jiffy prior to matrimony....but I tried it, and I liked it! Probably because it is more like cake than bread! Oh, but it's sweetness is the perfect culinary balance to the slightly acidic soup! I like to crumble my cornbread into my soup bowl. Mark, my hubby...he is a dipper. So I bake my cornbread in a deeper dish, so that when it bakes I can cut it into perfect thick squares of golden goodness :) Perfect for dipping! Yes, I love my man...and he loves my Jiffy squares.

One of the hardest days for me after my Mom got ill, was a day when I was really sick with a cold and wanted some Vegetable Soup. She always made it for us kids when we were sick....even after we grew up and got married and did not live under her roof anymore. Looking back, I think that was the first day that I really got honest with myself about the finality of her illness. Somehow I knew deep inside that I would never have HER Vegetable Soup again. I would never have HER, not ill, again. I do not really recall what the weather was like outside that day, but in my heart...it was one of the darkest days ever. Those of you who have lost a parent, or have elderly or ill parents know exactly what I am talking about. It is hard to explain...and it is more difficult to fully digest.

I don't really know what came over me that day, but as horrible as I felt, I got up, pulled out my big pot, threw in some meat...then through tears and 101 degree fever, I made my own pot of soup. It was a rite of passage. It was a line drawn in the sand between being the child and becoming the adult. It was the beginning of knowing that I had to let her go, and knowing there was nothing I could do to change it. The sweetest cornbread in the world could not cut the bitterness of that fact.

Oddly enough, after that one particular episode of melancholy meal making....I felt so much better. Not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. I can make Vegetable Soup now, without tears and with fond thoughts of Momma and the way she loved and cared for us. And those sweet memories, definitely warm me to the core.

Um, Um, Good!
~Scarlett

5 comments:

Amy M. said...

I was raised on Jiffy cornbread, too. We always made/make it in a cast iron skillet in the oven. I love the crispy bottom that's generate by the skillet. Broccoli cornbread would be good on a rainy day like today, too.

Later, girl!

Sharon said...

OK, I read your blog and it made me cry AGAIN! I'm tired of crying today!!!! It was sweet and my momma used to do the same thing - I did grow up on Jiffy though...Think I'll make me some "mamma soup" and Jiffy cornbread this weekend.

Deb said...

You should at least leave us the recipe!!!

Miss Scarlett :) said...

Okay Deb!

Momma's Homemade Vegetable Soup:

1-2 lb. groundbeef (lean): Brown in a large stock pot, drain if there is too much grease. OR You can take a Hambone with bits of ham still on it and boil it in water (My mom did it both ways, but my crew likes the beef based soup best.)


Add: A variety of vegetables! Frozen, cooked, canned, or fresh.

Typically I use:

1 can of diced roma tomatoes
1 lg. can of green beans
1 lg. can of veg-all
1 can cream corn
l can whole kernel corn
1 can red kidney beans
1 can Lesure peas
Carrots canned or fresh
Frozen or canned butter beans
Frozen or fresh brocolli
Various amounts and kinds of diced potatoes

Make sure to add enough water to make it a soup.

Add 1/2 cup Heinz Ketchup (More if you like the tomatoe base.) The sweetness of the ketchup also cuts some of the acid. Fresh diced potatoes neutralize the acid too if you tend to have acid reflux :)

Bring it to a full boil, then cook on low all day. Refridgerate when cool, and it is even better heated up the next day as leftovers!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield