Monday, September 22, 2008

The Problem With Pedestals

We all have personal heros in our lives. People who have left an indelible mark on our souls based on the outstanding way that they live their lives. They are people who we tend to look up to, want to be like, and put our faith and trust in daily. Unfortunately, and quite often, without realizing it....we place them up on pedestals. I am not implying, in anyway, that we worship them like God....but rather that we create a standard for them, in our minds, and believe that they should always live up to that expectation. Being the "people person" that I am, I have accrued many personal heros in my lifetime!

There are, of course, those that are my "Spiritual Giants"....they know the Word of God backwards and forwards, and they apply it in their lives everyday. They are the people who I want praying for me, teaching me and who I know I can go to if I have some huge spiritual conflict or question. They are most often deeply anchored and respected in our churches and our communities. Some are quite famous, but some are gentle, soft spoken giants who have never written a book or made a bible study video.

Some of my heros are "Relationship Giants"...you know the ones that can maintain great marital, parental and social relationships with what seems like little effort or stress....they remember to send Birthday cards out on time, they work out a way to be at all the soccer games of every child, they know just the right thing to say or do, they exercise, eat right, and love Jesus. Their mate loves them dearly, their kids adore them, and everyone wants to be their friend. They are great communicators and the love they offer is genuine, not offered based on self gain.

I also have a few heros that I can best categorize as " Fighter Giants"....that's right....they never give up, no matter how poor the odds. These giants have gone though life circumstances that we all pray never come our way....and beat the odds! They have battled cancer and survived it, they have experienced infidelity in their marriage and fought hard to save it, they have unexpectedly loss a child and have battled their deepest hurts and have picked up the pieces and moved forward.

These are just a few of the many folks, that I consider my heros, who impact my daily walk without ever knowing it. They probably have no clue that they are my heros. I am not sure why I do not tell them that they are....I think it is the whole "putting someone up on a pedestal" idea. The problem I have with pedestals is that no matter how awesome and deserving the person on them has become, there is only one direction to go from the top of that pedestal....and that is down.....and due to our humanness....falling off is not only possible, but probable.

We have all seen beloved pastors, political leaders, community leaders, doctors, entertainers, and countless others that often get placed up on a pedestal, take a nasty plunge. There is great pressure at the top.....and I think Satan likes to play there. He knows he can do much harm, not only to the person who stumbles off the pedestal, but also to the many who placed them up there in the first place! This premise is exponentially worse if the person is a known believer and follower of God. The world derives great pleasure, for whatever warped reason, pointing out and calling someone a hypocrite.

I have felt the disappointment of having someone that I placed on a pedestal fall off. I have also felt the sting of being the one on the pedestal that takes the inevitable dive....It hurts on both ends.

Therefore, I opt to keep my spiritual, relational, and fighter giants off the pedestal. That doesn't mean that I do not look up to them...not at all....it just means that I keep them in the trenches with me. Knowing that if I fall, they will pick me up, and if they fall, they do not have such a long trip down! And where ever they land, I will be prepared to offer them grace, love and forgiveness....just like Jesus does for me everyday.

And guess what.....I know some of "my giants" read my blog.....have fun figuring out who you are!!

By the way, I do have one person on my pedestal....his name is Jesus, and He will never fall.

Blessings Y'all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your post from CWO. I love it and will be back to visit. I am a pastor's wife who understands your view of pedastal plummetting. Thanks for the refreshing words.

Melanie Turner said...

You are right. We all put people on pedastals...Jesus is the only one we want to model after. I'm realizing that more & more these days! :)


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield