Monday, October 6, 2008

Ah-Ha! Moments

I just love to learn new, neat things! I love learning in general, actually....My interests are vast and my thirst for knowledge immense. I like details....I like to know the histories of things....of people...I am intrigued by learning new people and figuring out their personalities....even little things, like what colors they like.....what they like to do in their spare time....where they go to church...Maybe I am just nosey!!! But hopefully not in a busy-body way!! Each detail.....according to "Scarlettville theory"....paints a new layer on previously gathered information and completes the picture a little more clearly. So I carry a tremendous array of data at any given time! My concern is that I will leave this Earth with a brain slap-dab full (yes, my non- southern readers, that IS an actual, usable term in the South),....a brain that is tightly packed full ....of tedious, and kingdom useless information!

Occasionally I learn something so INCREDIBLE that it can be categorized as what is commonly referred to as an "Ah-Ha!" Moment......You know, a discernible moment where the light bulb goes off and you "get it". A moment where information is shared clearly....and processed correctly...and it makes perfect sense for the first time.

As I recollect, my first Ah-Ha! Moment dates back to grammar school. Science class....we were talking about trees. Mrs. Lawson, my first grade teacher, explained to us that you could count the rings on a visible cross section of a tree and tell it's age. She had actual samples of trunks of trees in class for us to see. I thought that was the COOLEST thing. (Yeah, I know....pretty pathetic....but come on....I was six! But still somewhat of a science geek....hey...it served me well in nursing school!)

My most notable...and valuable Ah-Ha! Moment...by far....was the Sunday night it in 1974 when I realized that Jesus wanted a PERSONAL relationship with me! I had asked Jesus into my heart when I was six....and I understood it, and I meant it...BUT I did not totally understand how to apply it until that fateful Sunday night. It was just an ordinary Sunday night at our small Baptist Church....but it became an extraordinary night in my life!

There have been other moment's....most scoring on the Ah-Ha! Rating scale somewhere between the "Tree Rings" and my "Jesus" Ah-Ha! events. I just love it when they happen! It excites me to know I can still learn and that there is so much more out there to learn!

This week I had a really cool Ah-Ha! Moment. I am doing a bible study, by Kay Arthur, entitled "Lord, Teach Me To Pray". It has been awesome from the start....but this past week was...well, for me, ...Ah-Ha! worthy. As we were going through the daily homework, there was a section about "Intercessory Prayer".....explaining why it is biblical and an important part of a healthy prayer life.

I don't know about you....but for me....there have been times in my life where I was trying to pray....trying to cry out to the Lord...but did not know what to say...or how to pray.....and I guess I always felt like those prayers were somewhat less effective....and usually were prayers that I needed God to hear the most! (I hope that makes sense!) Well, Glory be,....this week I learned that Jesus AND the Holy Spirit are interceding for ME at all times....especially during those times of despair where I am so confused or hurt or distraught and I am incapable of communicating what is in my heart! IS THAT NOT THE COOLEST THING?? Forty-six years....in church the whole time....Surely, I have been offered that information in a sermon before (but I obviously did not "hear" it if it was)...and not until this week, was I able to process it and understand the concept! It was up there on my Ah-Ha! Moments Scale.

Oh, I SO love to learn....and I am thankful for Ah-Ha! Moments! It excites me to know that there are still so many things left to learn! God is so awesome. I am so small. I am humbled that He allows me to get even a glimpse of Him and how He works. I want to know more! I want to know His favorite color!! I want to know what He likes to do in His spare time :)!! And yes....I would just LOVE to know where HE LIKES to go to church!! I know he visits Cornerstone every week :)

Do you have an Ah-Ha! Moment to share? If so, just leave me a comment....I just love hearing from you all!

Hoping many more Ah-Ha! Moments for us all!
~Scarlett







I

6 comments:

Darryl said...

Hey, Scarlett -- My "Ah-Ha!" moments are much more enjoyable than my "Uh-Oh!" moments, but strangely, I learn greatly from both!

Usually, my "Ah-Ha" moments involved God early on, while my "Uh-Oh" moments occur more often after I realize I've left Him out of something!

Thansk for sharing . . .

Darryl

Scarlett said...

Thanks Darryl.....My list of "UH-OH" moments is, unfortunately much longer than my Ah-Ha! moments too! However, like you....I have learned alot from those mistakes :) ......hey....that might make an interesting post LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another inspiring post!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that ah-ha moment! There have been many many times in my life that no intelligable words can make it out of my mouth. They are just cries from my heart, deep groanings too painful to express, and THOSE are translated straight to God! I am humbled to know that my God loves me THAT much to care about those deep wounds and those deepest utterances of my heart! Even when I'm just a slobbering mess! LOL He loves my slobbery words!

Well, the comment started out strong, and then it just went downhill. I'm just a plain kind of girl! LOL

Thank you Scarlett for your blogs! I appreciate them!

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound really stupid, but hey why not share. My Ah-Ha moment recently was realizing that it made perfect sense for Jesus to be born in a stable, becuase after all, He's call "The Lamb of God". I know a no-brainer, but what can I say? I've been doing Beth Moore's study called "Jesus, The One and Only." That's what prompted this line of though.

McQueens said...

I'm right there with you. Sometimes (a lot) I feel overwhelmed when I got before the Lord to pray. Thank God for his Holy Spirit


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield