Saturday, October 18, 2008

Muffin Pan Therapy

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you felt like life was off kilter and did not know why? I have kinda had one of those weeks. Incredibly busy....lots to do....seemingly not enough hours in the day to do it......but honestly, that is not all that unusual for me. But this week.....well.....I still cannot totally put my finger on it! A bit of sadness....a bit of worry....a bit of insecurity....all mixed together with little if any justification for it.

Now those of you who know me, know that I rarely have a down day.....and I cannot even say that I am down.....just mysteriously edgy......unexplicatively uncertain. Not about life, or love, or family or faith.....solidly grounded in all those areas for the moment :) Maybe it's hormones :) Isn't that the catch all for all things without concrete proof?? That or it's just a virus :)

It kind of came to a culmination tonight. After dinner I was preparing mini pumpkin cupcakes for our huge First Fruits (Church Anniversary) Celebration....Mark and all the kids at home on a Saturday night....which I just love (and is a rarity at their ages!).....and me...baking in the kitchen (which I also love)....all the makings of a "Perfect Saturday Night" at home. I had just finished icing the mini muffins.....and putting them in a container for tomorrow....(about a dozen fewer than came out of the oven thanks to the "muffin snitches" in my family). And as I dipped my hands into the dishpan to wash the mini muffin tins.....It happened ..... I Started tearing up at the kitchen sink.....thankfully everyone else was involved in TV or Laptop Land....so they were not paying any attention to my sniffing as I scrubbed.

I scrubbed, and sniffed....sniffed and scrubbed. I got SO frustrated with myself...."These blasted mini muffin pans are so hard to clean!" And then the tears really started to build.....Why? Because I realized these were HER pans....my Moms.....then it hit me. She has been dead seven years. The anniversary of her death was last month......but this year it did not weigh so heavily on my mind during the actual month of September....but obviously it caught up with me in October!

As I continued to scrub the seemlessly impossible to clean pans.....I thought about the hundreds of mini fruit cake cookies we made in those pans. Mom started making fruit cake cookies because....well, I liked them. :) We have this whole "Secretive Springs Family Fruitcake Recipe" that has been passed down in our family....but I never really liked it. But Momma found this fruitcake cookie recipe...tried it....my brother and I loved them! So she made them every Christmas. Unfortunately....my job was often to "scrub the pans"....and I hated it! (But I loved the cookies and my Mom, so scrub them, I did.)

As I sat there, scouring the pans...fighting back the tears, I thought about the hours of complaining I probably did when she asked me to scrub the exact same pans. (No such thing as Teflon coated, non-stick pans in her day....but hey, they have lasted longer than my fancier ones!) Oh, how I wish I just had one minute for every hour I griped about having to clean them for her....somehow magically stored up in time....so I could use one of them to talk to her right now. I still miss her SO much....guess I always will....that is until the day we are reunited again! Hallelujah for that!

So tonight, I prepared mini muffins to celebrate a special anniversary (First Fruits).....and I tearfully scrubbed Mommas mini muffin pans to commemorate a different anniversary (Mom's home-going). Both important....both special....both huge parts of who I am.

Still not sure it explains the mysterious, off-kilter kind of funk I've been in......but I sure felt better after a good cry. Maybe it is hormones :)

What ever it is....I have faith it will get better....and if Momma was here...I know what she would say. She would say, "This too, shall pass..".... I heard her say it many, many times.....and she was always right....it always did pass and life was good again.

Thankful today for tearful, muffin pan therapy,
~Scarlett

6 comments:

Freddae' said...

Thank you for your post. Its exactly what I needed. It's a peaceful feeling to know there are others who feel as you do. And a good cry always makes things seem better...that's why I keep Steele Magnolias around. ;-)

Melanie Turner said...

OK, this is strange. I have been telling William all week that I have felt like getting down on the ground and crying, then I think I'd feel better. Never put my finger on what it was...I blamed it on not having any time to myself in 6 months, but who knows what it really was? We should have so called each other! I hope you are all better now. I enjoyed seeing you at church today. Love you!

Scarlett said...

That is too wierd Melanie! We are definitely "In-synch"....a sign of a great mentoring relationship :)

I prayed about it alot last night...thought about it today...and several folks who follow my blog (but do not usually post a comment)...actually verified some of my thoughts:

1. The Election
2. The Economy
3. The massive amount of Creative Ministry work I am facing in between now and our Christmas event!
4. Less sunshine (Rainy,shorter days)

All great points...and possibilites as to why we (as well as many others) are feeling unusally antsy these days :)

If you get to that place again, you better call me my precious, little sister in Christ!!
You know I love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Scarlett, I am sitting here crying WITH YOU! Oh the post....well....it's probably hormones here too because I'm blessed to still have my Momma with me, even through some scary health problems last year. But I can only imagine the pain of losing her....I'd be a basketcase. She's my bestfriend. My heart is with you.

And I do the same thing when I make my Grandma's Christmas cookies: cry and bake.

Thanks for the blog and the good cry!

Kayne and Thomas said...

Oh such sweet words. It is always bittersweet to remember our loved ones who have gone ahead of us to be with the Lord. I look forward to the day we will see them again. It is always the simple things - like a muffin tin - that stir up so much emotion and memories.

I agree with your comments and why other people think you are in a funk. I have been in a bit of one too these past few weeks. The holidays can be stressful trying to get everything done before they get here - especially with shorter days and less sunlight. I do hope this cooler weather helps your funk pass soon.
It was good to see you at church yesterday.

Meridith said...

So good to know that I'm not the only one with days like that... especially around the anniversary of my daddy's going home... (it was 18 years ago this past Monday)... (((hugs)))

I found your blog on the LWG blogroll... I'm excited to connect with other Christian women in the blog world...


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield