Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mentoring, Ministry, and Melanie T.


~The following was written as a part of our upcoming Women's Ministry Kick Off at CBC. Melanie Turner and I have been in a successful mentoring relationship for several years, and we were asked to comment on our experience...the following is my comment.....


God’s timing is perfect. At a point in my life where my kids were spreading their wings, preparing to flee the nest, God sent me a special gift. That gift being the mentoring opportunity with Melanie Turner. Married for only a few years, she still remembered what it felt like to have that unquenchable need to fluently fly into young adulthood. I, on the other hand, having experienced firsthand, the role of the hovering “mother hen” knew exactly where Melanie, who had just given birth to her first son, was about to land!

Who else but God could have paired us together at just the right time? Her prayers, and opinions, and friendship have helped me gracefully unfurl my wings and let my baby birds experience life outside the nest….assuring me that they would always come back when they were hungry. (And she was right.) And I, realizing and remembering and missing the days when my babies were small and up under me all the time, had the opportunity to pray with and encourage and mentor Melanie as she securely tightened her wings around her new little chicks….knowing that her protection was crucial and that the stages of infancy and childhood would pass ever so quickly!

I would not trade anything in the world for the special bond I have with Melanie. It is a friendship based on mutual Godly respect and love. And while we have learned much about God, attending bible studies and worshipping together, the greatest benefit, by far…for me…has been just having her in my life as my friend. Knowing that I could and would call her, and that she could and would call me if we needed anything at all…..Sometimes it is just for fun….sometimes it is about sick little chicks….sometimes it is about bossy momma hens …..but it is always about being there for one another.

So as the New Mother Hen (Melanie) and the Bossy Mother Hen (that would be me), daily tend to our nests, it is nice to know that God has allowed us to perch in the same tree. That as we fly, soar, hover, peck, and sometimes squawk through life, that we always have each other to watch out for one another….whether the sky be peaceful and blue or dark and stormy. We are building our nests together, feather by feather, as God preens us daily to become more like Him.

Melanie, my life is blessed by having you, Will, Cole, and William in it....I love you all dearly.

Spiritual Birds of a feather definitely should flock together....so I challenge each and everyone of you to pray about entering into a mentoring relationship...you will be more than glad that you did...you will be blessed, she will be blessed, and He will be glorified.

Tweet,Tweet Ya'll!
~Scarlett








3 comments:

Melanie Turner said...

Girl...you made me cry! You know I love you like a sister. Your friendship means the world to me...and it just keeps getting better! Hugs!!!!

McQueens said...

Scarlett,
I wish I had someone like that. I lost my mother (my best friend) 2 years ago and it has been the hardest thing raising my two girls with out my mom.

Anonymous said...

Scarlett, I want to thank you and Melanie for the words you guys shared at the Kick off. I am so looking forwarding to relationship that you guys not just spoke of but shown brighter in all other ways. I am so thankful for CBC and opportunities that are provider. When we first join about 2yrs ago I was looking for a mentor, a sister and friend. The thought of finding this in one person excites my soul. All three of these have been a void in my life. So once again thank you for letting us in to your world and what lies ahead for the rest of us.


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield