Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sisterhood of the Traveling Armor

When I was about 11, somewhere in that window of preadolescence where you don't know if you want to play Barbies or put on make up....I remember praying (being the good Baptist girl I was)...for 5 specific things: Straight teeth, boobies, a skinny body (as you can see from the first three on my prayer list, I must have played WAY too much Barbie), to live in a brick house, and to have a sister. (Seeing how my mother was post menopausal and unmarried, I am not sure exactly what I expected the Lord to do about that last one.) Looking back, I see how unrealistic, selfish, and non-kingdom building my prayer list was....but hey, I was 11...so give me a little slack!

Fast forward 35 years...and much to my surprise, I can truthfully say that God granted me everything on my list! Braces fixed the unattractive gap that was between my front teeth, the boobie thing..well, lets just say sometimes God gives you even MORE than you ask for..skinny body...(I have had that 3 times in my life, in 15 minute increments)...seriously...I have been thin...I just cannot seem to STAY thin..but God did allow me that request. He has blessed me and Mark with a beautiful brick home that is far finer than I ever imagined. And lastly...the sister thing....although I did not get a birth sister that shared the same chromosomes as I do...Again, God gave me so much more!! He gave me the opportunity to serve in Women's Ministry.

Women's Ministry has had a special place in my heart for many years now. Having served first on a Women's Ministry Team, and then having the awesome opportunity to be a Women's Ministry Leader for a few years, and now serving on the CBC Women's Ministry Team has enriched my life in unimaginable ways. Bible believing, God loving, on their knees praying, crock pot cooking Baptist Women are a rare (but powerful) breed.

Last night we had over 120 ladies who fed their families, lined up sitters, took time out of their busy lives (on a school night), and braved the after wrath of hurricane Faye to come to our Ladies Kick off. All ages, shapes, sizes, colors, occupations, and demographics were represented. Our theme was "Planting Seeds for a Bountiful Harvest"...and let me say...we have started out with one huge, beautiful bouquet!! I wish I could have talked with everyone at every table! Those I did get to spend a few minutes with, seemed to be having a great time. Eating, laughing, socializing...all the while hearing about all the great opportunities that lie ahead for the ladies of CBC this year. Bible studies, retreats, mentoring opportunities, missions, and other special events...I want to do them all!!! I want to get to know each and every lady...to hear their stories, share their tears and rejoice when they rejoice! I wanted sisters!!! God has given them to me.

Unlike the popular movie that is out right now about "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (and as an aside...there is NO way one pair of jeans could possibly fit all four of those girls the same...most of us try on a hundred pair to find just one pair that feels right!!)....so unlike the movie where they share one lonely pair of jeans...our sisterhood shares a garment that is "One size fits all"..that being the Armor of God. We can all even wear it at the same time!!

The Armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18 NIV)
10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

The Armor of God Ladies!! Beats Gucci, Versace, or Chanel anyday.

It never says exactly how the pieces of armor are stitched together. I am sure they are held together by the saving blood and amazing grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus. But in my mind...when it comes to Women's ministry, I imagine in my limited little brain, that my armor is also kept securely together by well crafted stitches placed there by the ladies in my life,.... my sisters, who hand stitch me back together everyday with their prayers and support...who rush to my side to mend the cracks that occur when I get hit by the enemy or to repair the rips that occur when I get too big for my britches, and need a little help holding my armor together.

I challenge each of you who read this blog...not just my sisters at CBC... but any of my sisters in Christ...to never underestimate the importance that even the smallest stitch makes!! A kind word, a heartfelt prayer, a hug outta nowhere, a phone call, a warm meal, a simple glance across the worship center that says..."I understand"...all are small....seemingly insignificant stitches that mean more than you may ever know. A little stitch here and there....sister, by sister, can mend the largest of wounds....that my sister, is Women's Ministry.

I love each of you and I thank God for answering the selfish prayer of a Barbie obsessed 11 year old, far beyond what she ever imagined or deserved.

Happy stitching, Y'all!
~Scarlett

6 comments:

Kayne and Thomas said...

That is so precious. I love it and echo your sentiments. You have such a ways with words. Last night was awesome. It is exciting to be a part of God's plan and I can't wait to see what He has in store for us this year with women's ministry!! :)

Susan said...

I just finished reading your blog. I have an alert posted for women's ministry and this entry popped up. We are starting a women's ministry in our church and your blog will be passed on. Thank you for those encouraging words.God will get His message out to women (us,sisters) everywhere by many methods and He just did through your blog. So just to let you know you have other "sisters". We are a average size church in south AL.!!
Susan

Lee Wilkes said...

What a true and powerful post! I always enjoy reading your blog and feel inspried when I leave! I hate I was unable to attend on Tuesday but look forward to "plugging in" soon!

Cookie Cawthon said...

Praising God for your comment on Erika's blog and those answered prayers! Tickled at God's goodness...

Amy Wyatt said...

So glad you stopped by! I hope you will visit again. Maybe come join in on Then Sings My Soul tomorrow.
I'll be back to visit!

Anonymous said...

Hey Scarlett...what an awesome blog and one that I relate to SO well. God has used women's ministry throughout my life to bring Godly, beautiful, through-the-storm sisters into my life. I am so grateful! CBC has been such a blessing to me and continues to remind us that He will take care us - even in the most minute ways. Thank you for sharing and being such a vital part of drawing women to God's feet. Be blessed.


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield