Monday, November 17, 2008

Confession is Good for the Soul

Tell me I am not alone in my stupidity. That's right....time for 'fessin up y'all....I will start.



Today, I had what I thought was a bright idea....The logic went something like this.....I am running late for church and I don't have time to take my car keys to my office before worship begins, so I say to myself....."Self, why don't you just take the ignition key off the HUMONGOUS key ring you always carry around. That way you will not have a big bunch of noisy keys clanging around during worship." Made sense to me. So I took off the ignition key....headed into worship just as the countdown on the screen said 0:37 seconds left. Took the seat that my friend Cindy had saved for me, put the key in the back pocket of the chair in front of me, sat down my bible, and worshipped my little heart out!! It was a wonderful day of worship!



As the service was coming to a close, I needed to make my way out in front of the crowd to hand out tickets for iChristmas, our Christmas event at Cornerstone this year. So I grabbed my bible, quietly slipped out....handed out a bazillion tickets, and then headed down the hall for a Women's Ministry Team Lunch Meeting. The salad was yummy, the turtle cookies...even yummier! We had a very productive meeting......then it was time to go home....I was ready. I knew I had to be back at 5:50 for a photo shoot, and then praise band rehearsal and choir rehearsal. (And I really wanted to sneak in a quick nap!)



Bible in hand.....but HELLO....NO key. I immediately knew what I had done....and where I had left it. The problem was that every Sunday as soon as the service is done, the men of the church (or at least the energetic ones) take up the majority of the 600+ chairs to clear the worship center for Awana. And sure enough....the row I was on was up and stacked 6 chairs deep. My wonderful friends Lari and Karen and Monica....helped me look for the key....but no luck.



All three offered to take me home.....but I hated to put them out....it was not exactly on the way home for any of them. (Actually Karen, is a neighbor, but she is our Children's Ministry Leader, and needed to stay at CBC to work....but she did offer me her car.) I finally agreed to let Monica take me home......she promised she did not mind....and she was driving a convertible sports car...so that was kinda cool! Thanks again, Monica....and I think you are even cooler than the sports car :)



After Awana tonight, the chairs were put back out, and a small brigade of friends searched row by row, seat pocket by seat pocket until the key was found. Mrs. Naoma found it....thanks again....you rock!



I am so thankful for my church family.....and it is so comforting to know that they love me even when I do idiotic things, and that they are willing to help me out of the crazy and somewhat embarrassing predicaments that I put myself in sometimes! What do folks do without a loving fellowship of believers in their lives. My Church family is my safety net.....whether I trip, fall, jump or I am pushed.....they are there to catch me. I thank God for them daily.



So come on folks....help me know I am not alone in my idiocracy.....What kind of brainless antics are you guilty of and are willing to share with us. Confession is good for the soul....and would also make me feel a little bit better :)



Humble pie isn't so bad, especially if it served up with some sweet tea, and some even sweeter friends!



Pie on my face,

Scarlett

8 comments:

Bette Cox said...

That's almost as good as when I agreed to be the speaker for an event and then forgot to show up... it's been many years since then but I'll never forget it! I was just hanging out at home, they called, I jumped in the car and made it only 20 minutes or so late, so utterly horrified and dumbfounded that the whole rest of the event is gone from my memory but I had prepared ahead of time, thankfully.

Darryl said...

I happened to be sitting there with Hannah when Naoma and Mark found the key . . . as far as my brainless antics, I don't know if there is enough room to list them in your comment section!

I second your thankfullness for our church family -- God is doing awesome things at CBC, one of which the development of a great fellowship of believers who love, support, comfort, and rebuke one another in His name.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're certainly no alone in this! I've confessed so much on my blog already that I fear people will stop reading if I say one more thing. :) My whole life seems to be one big confession.

Glad you found your keys!!

Anonymous said...

I once went to church with two different colored shoes on.

Anonymous said...

HAAAAAAAA!! OH MY...but ya know, I've been there...done dumb stuff just as bad. And don't ya just LOVE when other people are around to witness it? LOL It does keep us humble though!

Sunday, my phone went off DURING CHURCH, and me...who keeps her phone in her BRA, quickly grabs my "twins" to keep the phone quiet. Oh yes, that was nice. OYE The Youth dept will never let me live this down. LOL

Miss Scarlett, I hope you have a SMASHING week!

Susanne said...

So glad you found your keys!! And darlin' I can *so* relate to this story, because it sounds just exactly like something I would do!!!
Have a great week!

Kayne and Thomas said...

That is great. And definitely sounds like something I would do too. I have lost my keys numerous times...one time after Kidz Fest and I think you were the one who told me where they were as I was in a panic and knew I would never find them on the field!
Another time I also had a single key, I unlocked my car and then my key was gone...I couldn't find it anywhere. It was dark outside and I knew I had lost it in the dark and wouldn't be able to find it. AG was with me. I had no cell phone service where I was. It was scary and awful. I ended up walking to a house that let me borrow a phone and call Thomas to come and get me - he had a spare key. A few months later - I cleaned out my purse and what did I find?? My key!

Scarlett said...

Thanks for the comments y'all! They did make me feel better :) OF course....comments, in general make my day....SO thanks for reading AND commenting!!


Our 25th Wedding Anniversay in NYC

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo

Tuesday Morning Mammo Photo
Are you sure that is my boobie pic hanging up on that wall???

How Bountiful Are Your Gifts, Oh Lord!

Re-Honeymooners

Re-Honeymooners
On the beach at Litchfield